Thursday, March 13, 2014

nice tattoo, sorry it wont fulfill ya


tattoos. nose rings. body wraps. losing 65 lbs. going vegan & saving some animals. bellybutton ring. dying your hair every color of the rainbow.


I've tried these things. Who hasn't tried to dramatically change their appearance at an attempt to be happy?

You break up with a boyfriend? cut that man right outta your hair, right? Be the best thing he's never had! Lose those 20 lbs so he'll regret leaving you! These things will all make you happy, right? Wrong. So, so, so wrong.

The only reason you were made to think there is something wrong with the way you look is so people could sell you things. That's it. Society has told us that if we just fix how much the number on the scale says, if we just have ombre hair, if we just have perfect! flawless! clear skin! we will be happy.

hate to break it to you, coming from someone who has lost 65 lbs in the past two years, no matter how low the scale has gotten, I was never happier than I was when I was heavy. No matter if I had red hair, purple hair or black hair, it didn't fix any anxieties I have about the future. No matter how great the placement or font of the tattoo I have so originally picked out that has *soooo much meaning to me,* it won't fulfill me.

Do you know what fulfills? Stop being selfish and focusing on the way you look all the time.

"but I'm not a selfish person!"

So could I, the person who has voluntarily done the church nursery with no payment for 10 years, who wants to pack up her belongings and live in the slums of Africa for the rest of my life say. But the truth is, I am selfish. I am insecure about the future and sometimes unfulfilled and empty.

--For to set the mind on the flesh is death, for to set the mind on the Spirit is life and peace.-Romans 8:6.-- As cliche as it sounds, focus on the inside. When you think of yourself as a whole & beautiful person, you can live your life as a whole and beautiful person. rest in that peace.

There is nothing more beautiful and fulfilling than truly loving people. In order to love people, you have to make peace with and love yourself. Every day that you choose to love who you are on the inside, your passions, what motivates you, your heart, you will become more and more fulfilled. that is not selfish. that is freedom.

You are beautiful, you are loved, you will live an amazing, fulfilling life.

& that tattoo looks awesome, but sorry, it won't fulfill you.

1 comment:

  1. Brilliantly spoken. You got it, you understand what it's all about and I'm so happy you're able to share this truth with the youth and future generation!

    ReplyDelete