Saturday, June 5, 2010

20 days!

2o days until I am finally in Haiti!!!
Oh, I can't wait until I see the beautiful people on the streets through over-whelming amounts of smoke, the vendors and beggars lining the streets, paintings and shoes and clothes all over the walls, women doing their friends hair, kids playing.. until I hear a mix of loud voices speaking Creole, and kids laughing and playing... the sounds and sights of my "home." But more will be there. Heartbreak, tent cities, rubble, collapsed buildings.

I am sort of glad I will finally see the damage caused by the earthquake finally. I've been warned, Haiti won't look the same, it will be way more over-whelming, it will break my heart, I need to prepare my heart, etc. I don't mean to sound like I'm in my own little fantasy and my Haiti is perfect. Its so, so, so far from perfect. Its the opposite. It is so broken, it was before the earthquake.

But God. He is so present there. He is in the compassion and love shown by the people, He is in their smiles- you can see Jesus in their faces! He is in the people who leave their life, home, friends and family to go serve them, He is in their little make-shift churches, where they worship for hours in the scorching heat joyfully and with unrelenting passion. They are the most beautiful people I've ever known.

Haiti has hope, even after the unimaginable, even after the earthquake. Haiti has Jesus.

This is where my heart is. This is the place I love. This is where I am returning.

"I am SO HAPPY to be home again! This place is where my heart beats, in sync, with His."-Susette Manassero.

4 comments:

  1. I'm excited for you too!! Sadly, I will be in Pennsylvania when you get back but blog all about it cause I wanna hear all about your trip! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grace, you are unbelievably eloquent. I am so proud of you and I know that God is going to use you in amazing ways because your heart is so open to him. Just trust in him, let him work on you in every area, with your parents, siblings, school everything, so that you can live with joy in every area of your life!!! I love you so much!!!
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will pray for you when you're in Haiti and where ever else God may lead you! And that you will forever stay in His will even when you start to get lost on lifes journey! =}

    ReplyDelete